Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Old Guys Rule


I was traveling to NY for a bit of an extended vacation that included a college graduation ceremony for my niece, a surgery procedure for my sister and hopefully lots of family time. Getting to Upstate New York from Los Angeles is never an easy journey. It involves at least one plane change and anywhere from 35 to 90 minutes in the car depending upon exactly where I was going.

Today was no different, after touching down in Chicago and grabbing a quick bite to eat, I still had 2.5 hours to kill before I boarded and I was already tired. Tired from traveling and tired of all the people. People being impatient, people being rude, people shuffling around the crowded airport with seemingly no place to go and all day to get there. The people with the raging body odor were no treat either. “It’s not just BO, it’s BBO.”

Without much in the way of a carry on bag and with no need to fight for overhead space I waited until the end of the cattle call, I was the last person on board.  I was looking forward to collapsing into my seat and sleeping away the last part of my trip.  That’s when I spotted him, a tiny old-timer sitting in 35B. I glance down at my ticket just to be certain and YES in fact I was in 35A, my mood skyrocketed.

As I as drew closer I sized up my seat-mate who looked to be around 90. He wore old man blue jeans hiked well up to his chest, a rumpled, well-worn plaid shirt, a weathered ball cap that read “I Heart Jesus” in faded letters and in his gnarled fingers he clutched a small tote that had probably housed cassette tapes back in the 80s. In his breast pocket was a pack of Sweethearts candy. I wondered how long it would take him to offer me one.




About 11 seconds.

Not having made full contact with my seat yet, he leaned in and quietly said “I’m Roy Lester Atkinson, would you like a candy heart?” How could I refuse “Why Roy Lester I’m pleased to make your acquaintance, I’d love a candy heart.”



For the next 70 minutes I learned all about Roy Lester. He told me he was anxious to get home to his calico cat Loreli, he’d been gone about a week and he sure did miss her. And about his trip to Colorado where he went to visit his brother, who wasn’t doing well, he had "the cancer" and Roy Lester’s face darkened slightly. And about his garden, he hoped the gophers hadn't cleaned out the lettuce in his absence..."dang varmints". And all about the time he served in the Navy, Roy Lester sure did love the US of A. . And about his wife, who had “gone up to be with the Lord” 15 years ago, his face darkening again. And boy did he ever love to sing in the church choir, sometimes they would travel to the local nursing homes and sing for the folks there. Laughing out loud Roy Lester said even though his voice sounded like two coon-hounds makin’ pups they let him sing just the same and that made him happy.

In the blink of an eye we arrived in New York and I was a tiny bit sad our time together was coming to a close. I could’ve listened to Roy Lester Atkinson for ever.

The best classroom in the world is at the feet of an elderly person.” Andy Rooney

3 comments:

  1. The cheap seats are often times the best!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it...kind of makes me miss flying...for a minute :).

    ReplyDelete
  3. You both scored. Any one with a box of candy hearts.....sold.

    ReplyDelete