Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Play Ball!

How can you not be romantic about baseball? What's not to love? The crack of the bat, the roar of the crowd, an ice cold beer on a hot July afternoon, a pitchers duel, a walk-off home run and watching players who love playing as much as I love watching. It's all of these things and more that make Baseball a true American past time and while other sports have their place, certainly baseball has earned it's spot at the top of my list.

While I am a loyal and diehard NY Yankees fan and will stick with them through the good and the bad there are so many things about other clubs that I admire and think the sport is better for: Vin Scully, Wrigley Field, Donnie Baseball, Cal Ripkin Jr, the new generation of stars like Trout and Puig, and the journeymen that consistently deliver for their teams like Raul Ibanez to name a few.



Which brings me to my next point the Bronx Bombers. Love 'em or hate 'em you have to admit there's a reason they are the most storied franchise in baseball history and tonight at Chavez Ravine one of the most celebrated Yankees, Mariano Rivera, will be honored by the Los Angeles Dodgers. Bravo Mariano for a career focused on baseball, excellence and determination. Lots of folks didn't expect you to come back after last season, but you showed us all what kind of athlete and talent you are. Bravo.

I'll be there tonight, wearing my Yankees jersey, drinking up a piece of  history and hollering for my team. Thanks Mo for your commitment and for all you've done for the Yankees and the sport of baseball. Bravo.


No comments:

Post a Comment