Thursday, August 1, 2013

Play Ball Part 2: Dodger Fans Can You Please Pull it Together?

You know what really grinds my gears? Shitty fans. This is something that has bothered me for some time, it's a real pet peeve and I'm going to use this post to deliver this message to the tens of people who read my blog :)

Side note to the tens of people who read my blog, I am forever grateful for your support...but I digress.

I attended last night's sellout game at Dodger Stadium, and between balmy evening air, the icy cold beer, the back drop of the mountains majestically surrounding Chavez Ravine, the pre-game tribute to Mariano Rivera and the effortless save that he delivered in the bottom of the 9th, it was an almost perfect night. Almost.

The game, a pitchers duel, was tied up nothing, nothing at the top of the 9th, the Yankees had 2 outs and were sitting at the weakest part of their batting order. Overbay, bloopers a single to center sending Cano home.. and then it started. 

What had been friendly mutual ribbing the whole night suddenly turned sour. Instead of fans cheering on their own team they started turning on the opposing team and their fans. 

"You guys are still in 4th place!" said one disgruntled Dodger fan again and again and again.

"You know, you're still not making the playoffs!" said another. "Yankees Suck!" chants started echoing, louder and more impassioned than the earlier "Let's Go Dodgers!!" chants from the exact same fans.

Then Nix, the bane of my Yankee existence comes up to bat and flys to right field, an easy out everyone thought but after a communication error between Puig and Ellis results in a dropped ball, 2 more runners score and it's 3 zip. The crowd turned absolutely wretched and still more "Yankees Suck" ...Pardon me but was it not the Dodgers that just bumbled this last inning resulting in my team taking the lead? I'm no coach, or ESPN analyst but that's certainly how I saw that inning play out.

And the cherry on the cake, in the bottom of the 9th when the most celebrated closer of all time, one of the classiest, and most humble athletes in baseball if not in all sports who was honored on this very field this very evening approaches the mound to a choir of Dodger "fans" booing. You must be kidding me.

To those of you that say things like "X team sucks" and boo the great players if they are not on your team I say this. Shame on you! When I watch games in The House that Ruth Built, I welcome the opposing team and their fans, because without them we're just a bunch of knuckleheads sitting around paying $17 bucks for a beer and watching our team have batting practice.

1 comment: