Monday, August 12, 2013

Who Doesn't Love Tube Socks?

It’s August. I know this by the skyrocketing temperatures; by the way the Yankees are plummeting in the American League rankings and by the assault of Back to School ads on television. Clothes, shoes, back packs and supplies. When I was a kid supplies meant some loose leaf paper, a couple notebooks, assorted writing utensils and a pack of those pink erasers that fit over the top of a pencil’s already built in eraser. Now supplies means laptops and tablets and phones oh my!

Yep the dog days of summer, when every kid is trying to squeeze in as much fun as they can before school starts again. One of the rituals for this period of the calendar is back to school shopping. For some this was a real treat, for others not so much.

Like my older brothers and sister before me my parents opted to pony up a couple hundred bucks a year for private catholic school for grades one through eight. This decision made them feel good about themselves for a couple of reasons. 
  • The smaller class sizes and stricter environment would result in a sounder education.  If this were the case I probably wouldn't be wondering if sounder was an actual word.
  • The religious education imparted would augment my good Catholic upbringing. (Shaaah, as if?)

And there was a third benefit that my parents would never cop to. The savings on school clothes as we Catholics were required to wear uniforms. So each year my friends that attended public school got to go with their moms to the “big city” (pop. 20,000) an hour away where they would visit the mall, have lunch and pick out clothes. My shopping adventure was much less exciting.

Instead, my mom would send me downtown, on foot, to Cook & Sacco, our local and only “clothier”.  The store was probably half mile away right in the heart of a non-booming metropolis in Upstate NY.  It was a lovely store, and now the  smell of new clothes always brings me back to my childhood shopping “sprees” at Cook & Sacco. Once inside, Mrs. Sacco would first award me with a cherry lollipop then measure me from top to bottom all while prattling on about how tall I’d grown this year. Then she would go in the back and retrieve 2 new plaid jumpers and 2 button-down blouses one long sleeve, one short and that was that. 

Mr. Sacco worked the register, to this day whenever I smell a cigar, I think of him as he was constantly chewing on the end of a pungent stogie. He’d box up my new belongings with a wink and a smile, have me sign for the purchase made on store credit and send me on my way, but not before slipping me one more “don’t tell your folks or Dr Brennan D.D.S” lollipop.

BUT, the shopping wasn’t fully complete until I had new shoes, so yes I did indeed get to take a trip to the big city. Mom and I would pile in the car and time our arrival for just before noon, where she would treat me to a terrific lunch at the Yum Yum Tree. The Yum Yum Tree was basically a hot dog cart, but I loved the taste of those delicious dogs plucked off the rotating warmer. Then it was off to Thom McCann so I could pick out a pair of sensible faux suede shoes AND two packs of tube socks.

BOOM. Shopping complete.





1 comment:

  1. Umm, when we went to St. Mary's there was no tuition. Plus we had almost all nuns and a priest here or there. By the time you got there it was all watered down with lay teachers who werent nearly as strict.

    ReplyDelete